Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary. Kyselyn
canva, acrylic, 77 x 143, Kyiv, 2006
Stone Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary was founded in 1720 with the foundation of Abraham and Marianna Goluchow. Consecrated by bishop F. Kobielski in 1746. Destroyed during the First World War and rebuilt in the 1830’s. It was again destroyed in 1943.
On Sunday, July 11, a large group of armed men attacked the church when a Mass took place. Armed men ran to the people who went to Mass and started shooting. Panic seized the people, some of them were on the ground, others ran to the first floor. The group which was on the ground floor opened the previously closed doors. All those who surrendered were herded into the main aisle temples and shot with a machine gun. The wounded were finished off with bayonets. Several people from the group which was on the ground floor organized their own defense. After 11 hours of fighting the attackers withdrew. In defense, four Poles were killed, 6 wounded. However, the total number killed in the church - 90 people.
After 1945 the Soviet government used the building of the temple for economic purposes. Flammable materials gathered there led to the outbreak of fire. Currently, the church is in a state of extreme ruin.