Dominican Church. Lutsk
canva, acrylic, 76 x 120, Kyiv, 2007
The founder of the Dominican complex in Lutsk was none other than Wladyslaw Jagiello, but at the time of the siege of the city in 1431, it was ruined, and for a time ceased to exist. At the end of the century, the great Lithuanian prince Alexander ХV gave the Lutsk Dominicans various benefits. We know today that the Dominican monastery occupied the southern part of Lutsk, past the Gόrnego and Circular castles. According to legends and descriptions, on the territory owned by the Dominicans was Witold palace, with a small Dominican church.
The Dominican Monastery was one of the wealthiest in the country and about 50 monks lived in it. It had an extensive library, in 1787 the Dominicans received the privilege of printing. Among valuable works of art in the Dominican monastery was the image of Our Lady given by Pope Clement III.
Tragic consequences for the monastery were caused by the Cossack uprising in 1648, the monastery was devastated, profaned, plundered. In 1793 the complex burned down, and in 1803 and 1843 the complex suffered from fire. The Dominican Monastery, as one of the largest buildings in the town, was a target for many departments of the Russian empire, and after fires in 1845 and 1847 the monastery and church were closed and liturgical vessels and library passed to the cathedral. In 1847 it was an armory. In 1871, the Brotherhood Czesnogo Chresta turned to the General- A. Ignatiev for permission to receive several thousand bricks from the Dominican convent for the reconstruction of the altar of the church under the same title. Consent surpassed expectations, the Brotherhood were allowed to dismantle the walls of five thousand bricks, and was given additionally 6,350 bricks that been taken earlier. At present, only the structure of the cells is preserved, which today is used by the Orthodox monastery.