Jesuit Church. Ostrog

Jesuit Church. Ostrog

Fortuna Illia
canva, oil, 65 x 75, Kyiv, 2006

The college and Jesuit church St. Ignatius Loyola and Francis Xavier, founded by the owner of Ostrog, Aloizę Anna Chodkiewicz. In the ХVІІ century it was the largest Jesuit college in the country. Establishment of the foundation stone took place in 1626. Construction was led by the Italian architect S. Braun. However, when the in the walls appeared dangerous cracks, the founder invited the renowned Jesuit architect Dżakomo Briano, who came to Ostrog in 1630 and critisized the project. The Jesuit developed five options for the project, none of which had been approved. Therefore the design of the complex was created by another well-known architect from Rome, Benedict Molli. From 1634 he directed the construction of the main buildings in the years 1634-1647. The complex consisted of a high 3-nave church and an adjacent college, which created a trapezoidal courtyard. On the northeast corner of the building was the tower observatory. At the time of the Khmelnytsky uprising, the Cossacks burned and ruined tow times. In 1659, the Jesuits returned to Ostrog and immediately began to rebuild the college and church, which finished in 1736.

Architecture of the complex was in the style of pure baroqe, the complex was not renewed and fell into disrepair, and in 1875 had been dismantled, and from the building materials was built, among others, Ostrogska school for boys (1876).

Symmetrical main facade crowned by monumental three-storey frontage and flanked by side towers. The temple belonged to the type of architectural dome of the transept basilicas, at the intersection of the nave and transept rose quite a massive dome.

After the dissolution of the Jezuit Order in 1773, the college was used as a Basilican monestary, Consistory, and seminarium. After a fire in the years 1809 and 1821.


  • Вечерський В.В., Втрачені об’єкти архітектурної спадщини України, Київ 2001.